Forest Grove Oregon History
The Oregon author published an article about Pacific University in Forest Grove, which raised the question of whether it is the best college town in Oregon. In 1881, a group of children from the Spokane tribe were recruited to attend the University of Oregon, the first public college in the USA, in Oregon in 1882, in order to integrate the native American people into the dominant culture of the USA. Oregon residents and a coalition of seven Oregon Country settlers gathered in a log cabin that also served as the home of what is now the Pacific College campus on the west side of the Columbia River. On October 1, 1884, Pacific University was founded in Forest Grove, making it the oldest public college in North America.
After a fire damaged several school buildings, the school was moved to a new location in Salem and renamed Chemawa Indian School. In 1868, the post office decided that the name was too similar to Forest Grove, and soon a more traditional post office was established in Forest Cove. After many local protests, Cove was given its current name and officially reestablished as Forest Grove in 1869.
When the Tualatin Valley Highway passed a few years later, the same was true of Beaverton and Hillsboro.
Rail traffic came in the 1870s to boost development, but Forest Grove residents refused to pay $30,000 to the Willamette Valley Railroad for a depot, so the company built a station about a mile south of the city. While Hillsboro and Forest Grove residents balked at giving Holladay free land, he made sure tracks were built a few miles south. The local tram was operated by the Forest - Grove Transportation Company and stopped only from 1906 to 1911. The tram from Forest Grove Depot was introduced in 1906, but was soon lost to cars and the tracks were demolished in 1911.
In the 1870s and 1904, the West Side Stage Co. built stage carriages and drove them from Portland to Hillsboro. The Oregon Electric Railroad came to Forest Grove in 1908, and the Southern Pacific Railroad followed in 1912.
The children's home became the headquarters of the Oregon Masonic Lodge until the current building was completed in 2000. In 1841, Alvin T. and Abigail Smith settled on the plain known as the West Tualatin Plain and were among the first to use the Oregon Trail. Although Indians, miners and packer spent a lot of time in the Cove area, they set up a tent in the present-day Cove on the last day of 1861 and became their first permanent inhabitants. They were named after their home in Forest Grove, a small village of about 1,000 people.
Carnations were named after the South Forest Grove after the Pacific Coast Condensed Milk Company opened the state's largest condensed milk factory in 1902.
When it had grown to 50,000, construction began on the chosen site in Forest Grove. The settlement of the church in Forest Grove was part of an earlier history of the United Church of Christ, which brought early settlers to America from several European countries.
Fort Vancouver became an important trading center during the fur trade era that began in the early 19th century, but Oregon City was more important later, around the mid-19th century. American Indians from the northwest and southeast were confined to the Indian territory of what is now Oklahoma, while the Kiowa and Comanche tribes shared an area in the southern plains. In the earliest times of history, local Indian tribes used this popular route to bring their goods to well-known trading centers such as the Dalles, where Pacific Northwest tribes traded their wares. In the 1840s, when the Euro-Americans settled in the area, many of them lived in what is now Forest Grove and traded goods in the area.
In the 1880s, what is now Chemawa Indian School opened in the city to educate Indians, and moved to Salem in 1884. After its foundation, it moved back to the Salem area, where it eventually became the Chemava Indian School. In 1880 they moved back to Salem, to Forest Grove, and then to their original location, Oregon City, at 6: 84 p.m.
The area's former post office was called Tuality Plains or Tualatin until Forest Grove was adopted on December 31, 1858. The name "Forest Grove" was chosen because it was named after the huge oaks that grew in the area where the university is now located. This name refers to the oak grove that still stands on the campus of the university, which today houses Oregon State University and Chemava Indian School.
Forest Grove is a town of about 21,500 people in the Tualatin Valley in central Washington County. The city also has a large tree on the grounds of the historic Hinman House. Forest Grove is home to a variety of historic buildings, including Oregon State University and Chemava Indian School.